The Centre for Artificial Intelligence Research (CAIR) was established in 2011 with the aim of building world class Artificial Intelligence research capacity in South Africa. CAIR conducts foundational, directed and applied research into various aspects of AI through its nine research groups: Adaptive and Cognitive Systems, AI and Cybersecurity, AI for Development, Applications of Machine Learning, Computational Logic, Ethics of AI, Foundations of Machine Learning, Knowledge Representation and Reasoning, and Probabilistic Modelling. The academics leading the individual research groups in CAIR are established researchers in their research focus areas, contributing to the advancement and thought leadership in the various disciplines constituting AI.
CAIR’s mandate is to:
- develop world class AI research leadership and teaching capability in South Africa;
- establish and maintain a critical mass of local AI researchers;
- train masters and doctoral students in AI;
- through consolidated, applied AI research initiatives, support sustainable and effective socio-economic development;
- enable meaningful, ethical and informed societal interaction with AI technologies;
- advise industry, government and NGOs in the utilisation of AI for social and economic advancement;
- reduce the cost of adopting and use of AI;
- build an accredited national and international AI research network that promotes AI research and technology in South Africa;
- contribute to the broader access to AI technologies and tools in South Africa.
CAIR is structured as a hub-and-spoke model with groups at six universities - the University of Cape Town, the University of KwaZulu-Natal, North-West University, the University of Pretoria, Stellenbosch University and the University of the Western Cape. The South African Council for Scientific and Industrial Research (CSIR) operates as the central hub and aims to bring academic research outputs to social and industrial applications. South African research produced by the CAIR network is playing an integral role in how AI is shaping Africa’s, and the world’s future.