The Centre for Artificial Intelligence Research (CAIR) is to host the International Joint Conference on Artificial Intelligence (IJCAI) in Cape Town in 2023 - the first time this prestigious conference will be held in Africa.
IJCAI is one of the oldest academic conferences devoted to research on Artificial Intelligence worldwide and is attended by the top international AI researchers and practitioners.
CAIR is a nationally distributed research centre involving five South African universities, and is funded by the Department of Science and Innovation, making it ideally placed to bring this important conference to Africa for the first time in its 54-year history.
The hosting of IJCAI in Cape Town will have several benefits for South Africa, and Africa including:
- helping to build the AI community in South Africa and in the region
- exposing South African organisations to the latest thinking in the use of AI technologies to drive the 4th industrial revolution
- helping to stimulate AI research and development in South Africa and the region
- bringing leading international AI researchers and practitioners to South Africa
- potentially leading to foreign investment in local and regional companies developing AI technologies.